Collectively buy my freehold - Freehold enfranchisement

Collectively buy my freehold

We want to collectively buy our freehold.

If you and your fellow leaseholders are looking to buy your freehold, our team are on hand to support you. We will join a management meeting to explain the process to you all, and help you prepare the valuation explaining how much each leaseholder would be responsible for.

We will work with your legal advisors, and negotiate the best price possible with your freeholder.

card services

Collectively buy my freehold

How did you hear about us?

Get Your Valuation Quote

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Buying my freehold, collectively

The Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 entitles qualifying leaseholders to collectively buy their freehold.


Do I qualify?

  • 50% or more of leaseholders are participating (if there are only two properties in a block, then both must participate)
  • The original lease must be in excess of 21 years
  • Charitable housing trusts, properties in a cathedral precinct, etc are exempt
  • If Freeholder converted / has lived there before and after conversion / been there for past 12 months
  • There cannot be more than 25% commercial use
  • It cannot contain more than two plots
  • More than two-thirds must be qualifying tenants
  • Vertical division


What is the process of collectively buying my freehold?

  1. Instruct a solicitor to draw up a participation agreement.
  2. Instruct a surveyor to carry out a valuation.
  3. Instruct a solicitor to serve a [Section 13 notice]
  4. The freeholder has a maximum of 2 months to respond with a Section 21 notice.
  5. Instruct a surveyor to negotiate a fair and reasonable premium.
  6. If a premium is not agreed before 6 months has passed from the Section 21 Notice, this is the latest an application to the First Tier Tribunal can be made.
  7. Solicitors agree terms of the new lease.
  8. Upon agreement of the terms, there is 4 months to complete the process.


Under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 qualifying leaseholders are entitled to purchase the freehold as long as there are 50% or more qualifying tenants participating in the enfranchisement claim. The original lease must be in excess of 21 years.


To discuss the process in greater detail and receive a quote, contact one of our experts.


What is a freehold?

A freehold is the complete ownership of a piece of land and all immovable structures built on it.

If you buy a freehold, you are responsible for maintaining your property and land, so you will need to budget for both these costs. Most houses are freehold but some might be leasehold, usually through share-ownership schemes.

What is a participation agreement?

A participation agreement is a contract between all the leaseholders of a property participating together in the joint purchase of their freehold and it provides a legal basis for the action.

What is a section 42 notice?

A section 42 notice (also known as a tenant’s notice) is served on the landlord/ freeholder of a property and starts the purchase of the freehold or lease extension process. Once a valuation of the property has been carried out by your surveyor they will send the valuation on to your solicitor.

Next, your solicitor will serve a section 42 notice on your landlord/freeholder advising the amount you are willing to pay for the freehold.

What is the first tier tribunal?

The first tier tribunal is part of the court system in the united kingdom. The first tier tribunal (property chamber) has 5 regional offices throughout england that deal with settling disputes in relation to leasehold property and the private rented sector.

Tribunal hearings are quite informal, you can state your own case or have a friend or professional speak for you. The tribunal normally sits as a panel of 3 consisting of one legally trained member, one surveyor and one lay (ordinary) person to provide a balanced view. The panel have control over the court hearing and decide in which order things are dealt with.

Whether it's your building, property or home, our award-winning property experts can help

Which Property Survey?

Snagging list, HomeBuyers Report or building survey –which one is right for me. Choosing a home or building survey that's right for you is fairly simple…

Get in Touch


Our property experts are here to help you

Product/Service of Interest?
How did your hear about us?

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.