I am a freeholder

My leaseholder wants to extend their lease informally
Arrange your expert advice & valuation below

As a freeholder, you are not responsible for the fair and reasonable valuation and legal fees - please contact us to arrange a valuation.

My Leaseholder has approached me

As a freeholder, your leaseholder may approach you to say they are interested in extending their lease. If you have received a Section 42 notice, you should pass this to your solicitors immediately and instruct a valuer to provide a valuation. Please see: “I have been served a Section 42 notice”.

If notice has not been served, we recommend you contact us. We will write to the leaseholder, requesting payment and provide you a valuation report and advise on an offer to be put forward.

lease extension process – learn more

Informal Lease Extensions: Good or bad?

On an informal basis, the lease terms can vary and include a ground rent. What is offered will depend on whether you require an income stream from the freehold or wish to extract more value now.

Once terms are agreed, you will need to instruct a solicitor to draw up the new lease and completed the extension.

There may be tax savings that can be made if a formal notice is served. You should consult your financial advisor.

You may also be interested in

Dream Home or Worst Nightmare?

Buying your new home can quickly become your worst nightmare. A home survey will help you realise your dream and help you buy with confidence. Find out more about the importance of a home survey here

The Importance of a Home Survey

Watch the Video

Sign up for monthly Property Insights

Follow Us